Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day


I wanted to wait until today to post the card I made for my husband for Valentine's Day. I am notorious for making cards and leaving them on the kitchen counter or on my craft desk, he ends up seeing them and then I stress making a new one that is never as good as the first one.

I had many versions of this card before this one just sort of fell into place.
In the previous post I showed you the Valentine's treat bags that I made for my daycare kids. I printed "Happy Valentine's Day" on Real Red card stock in dark Red ink so it would show up enough, but not stand out. The long piece of Real Red that is under the hearts is a scrap from my treat bags. It was perfect for this card. I wanted something to go on the side, but nothing was catching my eye until I was cleaning up after working on the treat bags.
The base of the card is Whiper White (4 x 8 1/2). I then layered it with a piece of Basic Black. The Basic Black is layered with Real Red. I then layered my scrap pieces of Happy Valentine's Day Real Red with Whisper White and Basic Black. The heart image comes from the Occasions Mini in the set Just Celebrate. I stamped the first one at the bottom on an angle and then masked it and stamped again. For some reason the card was calling for TWO hearts. I stamped the hearts in Black Staz On and colored them in with the Real Red Stampin' Write Marker. I followed the outline of the image with my Basic Black Journaler (I like the blunt end of this maker for thick lines).
After coloring I placed the stamped piece of Whisper White onto a larger scrap of Basic Black. I was going to trim down the Basic Black to fit the image better but decided to pull out the Crafter Tools Kit and do some paper piercing (you really cannot see this unless you enlarge the card). I then popped this off of the card with Stampin' Dimensionals.
I stood back and thought of what the card needed to be finished. I grabbed my Black Grosgrain Ribbon and added that across the bottom. Notice the bow, I never tie a bow!! I knot all my ribbon, but the knot did not look right so I retied it as a bow.
I looked at the card again and decided it needed something on the top now, so that is where the three black brads came into play. One last thing, I needed to add some glitter. I pulled out my glue pen and my Dazzling Diamonds Glitter and filled the polka dots on the hearts in with glitter. After I set my card aside for a few hours I thought the hearts would look good with Crystal Effects over them too. Now it is done!!
Hope you enjoy it!!


No comments: