Saturday, February 2, 2008

Sale a Bration - Birthday Whimsy

For those of you who are familiar with Splitcoast know that everyday of the week they have a different challenge. On Wednesday's they post a sketch challenge. Often I use these sketches to come up with a card design. This card is my impression of Wednesday's challenge.
  • To start I grabbed my East Coast Prep Designers Series Paper. I thought the large dots would look good with the balloons that I wanted to use from Birthday Whimsy, a Sale a Bration stamp set. I layered my dotted paper with Whisper White and Basic Black. Next I grapped Wild Wasabi to finish off the base of the card.

For the belly band of the card I pulled my color from the dots in the Designer Seriers Paper. Soft Sky jumped out at me since I wanted the ballons in More Mustard. I layered the belly band in Basic Black.

For the balloons I statered stamping them in More Mustard Craft Ink because I wanted to emboss them with Clear Embossing Powder, but the fine details in the balloon were lost the minute I started to emboss. So I grabbed my More Mustard Classic Ink and my Versa Mark Pad and embossed this way. [To emboss with classic ink, first stamp your image in Versa Merk then ink it up in the Classic color of choice, then stamp onto your card stock. Cover your image with embossing powder and heat as normal.]
Once the balloons were embossed and cut out I added strings to the back. I wanted to use my Linen Thread and keep the card 100% Stampin' Up!, but I cannot find it so I went for some retired Stampin' Up! fibers. I taped the fibers to the back and used Stampin' Dimensionals to pop them above the belly band.
For the words I grabbed the "Happy Birthday" from the Birthday Whimsey Stamp Set. I stamped the phrase in Basic Black and thought I was done. The words were too small for the space so I used the Crafters Tool Kit and pierced some holes to fill up the space.

No comments: